How a Senior Qualifies
1. Age: Applicants must be 55* or older at the time the application is completed.
2. Need: Applicant must be living in a substandard structure, overcrowded conditions, spending more than 30% of gross household income for rent and utilities or homeless. Substandard housing is a structure beyond repair with inadequate plumbing, heating or cooling systems, or having hazardous mechanical conditions.
3. Ability to Pay: Applicants must be at or below 50% of area medium income and have income to cover house payment (which will include property taxes and homeowners insurance).
4. Land: When NHC cannot obtain land, the applicant must own their own property where the house will be built.**
5. Citizenship: Applicant must be a legal U.S. citizen.
6. Other: Depending on the requirements of grants obtained, other criteria may be required.
* Some funding sources may require applicants to be 60 years old or older.
**Requirements and conditions apply.